Monday, September 12, 2011

So on Friday, the painter comes and tells me that they'll be painting my room on Monday and Tuesday, and I'll be in a portable.  Dandy.  The office tells me that it's Portable 18 (a.k.a. P-18).  However, another teacher is in there, so I can't move our stuff Friday.  We have to wait until Monday. No problem.  I have the kids put on their desks what we'll need for the two days, and after they leave I add the other things that we'll need.  On Monday we will grab and go.  Right?  You see that this will obviously go smoothly? Today is Monday.  I meet Suzanne in the parking lot, who happens to have a key to P-18.  It is a key that turns out to not work.  I run into the principal.  Hers doesn't either.  She calls Virgil.  His doesn't either.  I am to be in a portable that no one can open.  In the meantime, it starts raining, so the kids are going inside before the bell rings, but mine were told to be at P-18.  Finally they decide that we'll be in P-7.  However, this school is a whole lot like a Catholic church I used to go to in Syracuse -- half the congregation shows up during the opening song, not before.  So I have 13 out of 24 kids, and I load them down the best I can.  We race through the rain to P-7. I get there and Miss F is there.  There are many desks.  Many.  Most are stacked on each other.  There are 3 or 4 chairs.  No problem.  I spy a rolled up rug.  We will sit on the floor (by "we" I mean everyone under the age of 53). This portable makes my previous rooms look like the Taj Mahal.  I took other pics at the end of the day, so you can get the full effect of our 2-day home.  There is no clock.  However, I have my cell phone and a timer, so I set the timer to go off when each next thing should happen.  There is no flag, so I draw one on the board.  There is no computer, so I send the attendance with Miss F, who has to go back through the rain anyway.  There is also rainy day recess -- so after their lunch, they are stuck in the room with me, far from our rainy day recess stuff.  However, I brought an entire box of yellow chalk and we have many dry-erase markers.  These will do, and the kids have a great time.  There was no actual teacher desk, so I used a table to pile stuff on. We only managed to grab 3 out of 4 SFA baskets, so there is much sharing of books and Team Talk packets.  Not all children have their notebooks to write in, but I brought plenty of paper.  I'm used to having fun with my Promethean Board during SFA (and math), and suddenly I have nothing.  No problem.  It was a loooooooong morning, but we managed. We brought the small dry erase boards (every one of my students have one -- in the real classroom; I drag those along every time I change classrooms) and so we nearly had enough boards, nearly enough markers, and nearly enough math books.  I did remind the kids that children in some countries sit on dirt floors.  I am ever so helpful, right?  On the plus side, after lunch, because we eat earlier on rainy days for some odd reason, we had time for me to nearly finish reading James and the Giant Peach.  We'll finish that tomorrow. This week is book fair, and we had our scheduled time to go look at it, which broke up part of the afternoon. I tried to make it as fun or adventurous for the kids as possible, but I'd managed to forget how very lonely it is out in the portables.  But I did take lots of pictures, so we can look back on this adventure later on in the year.  The other pictures of the whiteboard are for me to remember, because I often do this stuff and forget about it.  We are to be writing descriptive paragraphs, so we talked about setting and they had to write a setting for a story.  They could come up with the setting but not so much how to write about it, so I did a sentence, and then 2 or 3 more myself. Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment